Problems running Windows 3.0 under Merge/386

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Mon Jan 21 16:06:56 AEST 1991

I'm currently trying to set up Windows 3.0 to run under the version of
Merge/386 that SCO relabels as ODT-DOS and ships with Open Desktop
v1.0.  I'm trying to install it on the Unix partition as accessed from
DOS (as drive C:).  The system is an Everex STEP 386/20 with an Everex
Viewpoint VGA, Everex Monitor 400 (standard VGA) and Microsoft serial
mouse.

So, I put disk #1 in drive A:, switch to drive A:, and type SETUP.
The installation program may not be working right; it thinks I've got
an 84- or 86-key keyboard and an IBM PC LAN network.  I reconfigure it
for an AT 101-key keyboard and no network, and proceed with the
install.  It gets partway through the second disk, and then exits.
The error message looks like "Merge/386 exception trap error", but
it's difficult to say exactly what it is becaue the screen immediately
clears and I'm sitting back at the Unix prompt.

I'm entering Merge/386 by typing "dos" at the Unix prompt.  I'm logged
in as root.  I don't have the com. port with the mouse on it enabled
in the Merge/386 shell, but that shouldn't matter for the install.

Has anybody installed Windows 3.0 under Merge/386?  How'd you do it?
Is this even possible?  SCO, are you listening?

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"