The INfamous inode bug

Greg A. Woods woods at eci386.uucp
Wed Jan 16 07:14:10 AEST 1991

In article <114 at thor.UUCP> scjones at thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:
> Your have a valid point, but at least Interactive TRIED to fix the
> problem.  AT&T has known about this bug for heaven-only-knows how
> long and they've just finally gotten around to fixing it for R4.
> And who knows if their fix is really right or not?!?

Then again, those of us who do the old resource utilization
calculations and predictions never exercise the bug in the first
place.  Even with a 100 Mb news spool I've never run out of inodes,
and thus I don't know if any system I use has ever had the bug!

Careful tuning of the news software will also usually prevent you from
even running out of blocks.  Further checks can prevent you from ever
running out of inodes too.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada