Tape Backup Problems (cpio read errors)

Timothy A. Melton stdtm at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Fri Jan 11 14:45:24 AEST 1991

I have just installed a Wangtech QIC-60 Tape drive and controller on my
ESIX rev. D system.  The drive seems to work fine under DOS, but when I
use cpio (or /usr/bin/backup) to write a tape and then read it back in, I
get numerous "Out of sync.  Searching for magic number/header" messages.
What could be the problem?  I believe that the drive and controller are
fine (they seem to work great under DOS).  Why am I getting these errors?
Am I losing files for each error?  I have recovered the last file from a
backup tape, but I was wondering if I might be losing other files on the
tape.  Sorry if this has been hashed over before, but I haven't seen an FAQ
posting in the last month or 2.

Thanks in advance,

Tim