The INfamous inode bug

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.sccsi.com
Sat Jan 12 13:51:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan10.161022.3360 at ism.isc.com> support at bomber.ism.isc.com (Support Account) writes:
>Code was added/fixed in V2.2 of Interactive Unix which resolved
>all the instances of the inode problem Interactive could test
>internally. Recently, another situation which generates the bug
>was discovered, which was not tested for, and which is being fixed.

Wouldn't it have been easier to have proved the revised code the
first time?  Simple little resource managers like that can be proved
in a half hour or so, and then you don't embarass yourself.

(No, I don't always prove my code the first time.  But if there is
a second time you can bet there won't be a third time.)

Testing for correctness.  Sheesh.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
	"Could we find tools that would teach their own use,