ESIX labelit differences

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Tue Jan 15 12:22:21 AEST 1991

I have discovered the differences in the output of the labelit command for SysV
and FFS file systems.

SysV labelit:
Current fsname: src, Current volname: 000_NL, Blocks: 2400, Inodes: 336
FS Units: 1Kb, Date last modified: Sun Feb 25 22:11:44 1990

FFS labelit:
Current fsname:src, Current volname:03W_M Blocks: 2126, Inodes: 320
FS Units: 512b, Date last modified: Mon Jan 14 17:40:49 1991

The FFS labelit has no spaces between the colons and the id strings.  The sysV
volname has a comma after the id and the ffs does not.  Also, if the FFS
volname is less than 6 characters, the labelit command pads out the name with
NULLs!  (Then there is the fs units; why is a ffs reported as 512bytes and not
8kb?)

I discovered this particular "problem" because i have a program that generates
table of contents of floppies and parses the output of the labelit command to
extract the volumen name.  Is there a better way of doing this than the rather
inelegant popen() command i'm currently using?  I couldn't think/find any other
way of reading the floppy's label without, of course, writing my own low-level
routines, which i didn't want to do...
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need