Missing SysV tty device driver feature??

Gray Watson cgwst at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Wed Jan 23 08:27:58 AEST 1991

This probably has been hashed before here, but I can't find it in my archives.

I am having problems getting the CLOCAL flag to work with my ESIX V3.2 Rel D.
According to the manual entries, if the CLOCAL flag is *not* set, when the
carrier detect line is dropped by the modem (the remote modem hangs up or the
line is dropped) the tty driver should send a HUP signal to the process group.
I can't get it to work.

I am betting that it is the driver from AT&T that is broke.  Have *any* of the
SysV3.2 ports out there fixed this??

Questions:
a) am I right that the V3.2 tty driver does not have this implemented?
   If I am wrong then what do I need to do to get it to work.
b) anyone fix the tty driver or have a work around.  I have already written
   an idle-kill program that resets the line if it determines I've been
   idle for X minutes, but it is a hack.  I can't run a shell that needs raw
   mode (bash,tcsh) and I can't execute a program that needs raw mode .  If I
   do and I get killed,  characters stream to the modem and my idle program
   can't tell that I am off.

FYI: I am running on a standard 386/33 with ESIX V3.2 Rel D.  My program is
     using standard termio sequences.  I have tested the DCD line (at the back
     of the computer) and it is being asserted correctly.

Thanks for any help.
gray
gray at med.pitt.edu