UUCP via TCP

Dave Close davec at shared.uucp
Sat Jan 26 12:20:29 AEST 1991

My Intel SysV R4 box is connected to the world only via Ethernet.  Another
box on the net has the modem and runs uucp.  So, to transfer to/from external
systems using uucp, I must relay through the other system.

AT&T's manual says you can run uucp over TCP/IP.  The files look like this:

Devices:	networkx,eg  devicex  -  -  TLIS  \D
Systems:	systemx  Any  networkx  -  addressx  [chat...]

systemx  = The other guy's system name, seems easy.
networkx = The network name, in this case "tcp".
devicex  = The network device, /dev/tcp, entered as "tcp".
addressx = The address of the other guy on the network.  The System
	   Administrator's Guild says (pg 7-45) that "this is usually
	   just the system name".

Try as I can, I can't find a value for addressx which works.  Just entering
the system name, Uutry returns "invalid address format".  Entering the IP
address or socket number, or any combination, or anything containing a period
or a comma, causes Uutry to say "address family not supported by protocol
family".  Of course, all the examples in the manual are for StarLan.

Can anyone say if this should work?  If so, what am I doing wrong?
--
        Dave Close, Shared Financial Systems, Dallas
        davec at shared.com       vmail +1 214 458 3850