Need information of Harddrives

Marc Fournier marc at skypod.uucp
Fri Jan 18 08:52:21 AEST 1991

Hi fellow netlanders,

	I'm looking toward buying a computer, and am presently triing to
decide what I need and don't need.  I know that I need a 100+ Mb hard
drive, but I don't know anything about any of the different makers.  I've
got it narrowed down to three possibilities:

	1) Maxtor 4170 158Mb 14ms ESDI hard drive  ($1215.00)
	2) Connor 200Mb IDE 19ms w/cache           ($1050.00)
	3) Miniscribe 9380 380 Mb ESDI 14ms        ($1320.00)

	Note:  The prices are for adding onto a basic system.

	Now, I've heard about Maxtor and Connor, and from what I've
heard, they are good names, but Miniscribe is a less known one to me.
Pricewise, the Miniscribe is the better deal, but does anyone out there
have any experience, good/bad, with it?

	Basically, what are performances like, life spans (MTBF), and
any other such information.  I'd love to have 380 Mb, but if its going
to break down very quickly, it isn't that great of a deal.

Thanks for any help in advance...

--
| Marc G. Fournier   (416) 250-8589  |   Haven't thought of anything  |
| Toronto, Ontario                   |     real witty to say here!    |