ESIX compress(1) broken (was: Re: Using Interactive TPWB...)

-Jeff Ellis jde at everex.uucp
Thu Jan 10 08:13:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan8.222044.9602 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.154351.16652 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
>[details deleted]
>I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
>"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

Well..... you could have changed the C-news script to use uncompress,
that is what I did.
I don't what should be a standard for unix compress but AT&T with the 4.0
source did not support the -d option also. I guess something will have to
change, AT&T or these public domain programs.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705