ESIX compress(1) broken (was: Re: Using Interactive TPWB...)

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Thu Jan 10 19:29:59 AEST 1991

john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>In article <1991Jan6.225758.27472 at portia.Stanford.EDU> fangchin at elaine10.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) writes:
>>So now I use GNU compress/uncompress/zcat and junked ESIX' originals.

>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
>compress that came with news software.  Compressed news batches
>didn't work.  It turns out that "compress -d", which is used by news
>software to uncompress batches, does not work with the ESIX-supplied
>compress.

Yes, this is true.  I had to use a public domain compress to get news
unbatching to work in Cnews.  Very strange; one would have thought that it
would have been tested...?
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need