MMDF lock directory (was Re: '386 Unix Wars)

David J. Fiander david at sco.COM
Tue Jan 8 07:40:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan4.032920.13524 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>I had this happen to me once as well... but when I ran checkque as root
>instead of mmdf, I saw stuff in the queue.  Red flag... I immediately ran
>checkup and it straightened out permissions for me.  And pointed out the only
>bug I've found in MMDFIIb #43 to date:  you can't change the lock directory in
>mmdftailor, it gets misread.  Since I've got the source, if it annoys me
>enough I'll track it down and fix it.

Brandon, in the introduction to the section on runtime tailoring of MMDF in the
paper "Installing and Operating MMDF II" (which I know you have, since you have
told others where to get it), it mentions that strings which are not simply
alpha-numeric should be quoted.  If you do this it will quite successfully read
the lock directory name from mmdftailor.  I was bitten by this once when I
tried to put an absolute pathname into the tailor file to log debugging output
for one particular channel.

>++Brandon
>--
>Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
>Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN
>America OnLine: KB8JRR			    AMPR: KB8JRR.AmPR.ORG [44.70.4.88]
>uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery    Delphi: ALLBERY

David J. Fiander
MMDF Development Team
SCO Canada