How is Microport Doing?

Fred Miller fmiller at dobie.UUCP
Sun Jan 6 15:50:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan4.061808.1434 at uunet.uu.net!weyrich>, orville at uunet.uu.net!weyrich (Dr. Orville R. Weyrich) writes:
> I am currently running Microport System V/386 rev 3, and am generally happy
> with it. However, I am aware that a while back Microport was in some
> financial difficulty.

Was?  They aren't "outta the woods" yet!

> MY QUESTION: does anyone have recent impressions about the financial
> stability and support resources of Microport? I will possibly be installing
> some flavor of Unix for a client soon, and would prefer to stick with uport
> unless there is an unacceptably high risk that they will leave us high and
> dry.

Well, when I recently made my UNIX choice, I discounted Microport almost
"at a glance" because I have reservations about how long they'll be around.
Most of this year WILL be rough for all businesses, and weak ones like
Microport have the best chance of not being around much longer.

						Fred