'386 Unix Wars

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Jan 9 13:11:32 AEST 1991

In article <1659 at svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra at svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:

| The 1024 cylinder limitation is not an AT&T invention.
| Complain to your vendor.

  I saw that problem in some form with Intel V.4 but not Dell V.4. I
can't quite make out what happened, and I did take notes, but I couldn't
get the 1224 to work until I went to Dell.

  However, I'm thinking seriously of going back long enough to get some
X stuff off either the Intel tape or the earlier Dell beta releases. The
X server Dell supplies with V.4 seems very robust, but it lost 800x600
when it went from the earlier betas to the last release, because if only
worked on the chips for which it was designed.

  Read between the lines. My interpretation is that so many beta testers
tried to use 800x600 on unsupported VGA boards that they pulled the
feature. And I can't blame them, but I still want higher resolution!!
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX