Roell's server gives "Cannot establish any listening sockets"

Brian Smith brians at eecs.cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:43:46 AEST 1991

roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Roell) writes:

>Just read the docs that come with X386 (/usr/lib/X11/config/X386/Install):
(X386 requirements/restrictions deleted...)
>o  VPIX will only run with a version of X11R4 that support TCP/IP.

This is not true.  I have found how to run VP/ix if the OS has TCP/ip
installed, even though the Server does not support TCP/ip connections.
(I assume you use csh).
	1) setenv TERM vt100 in a xterm
	2) rlogin local
	3) run vpix normally

You won't get graphics, or color, but you can do things like compile, dir,
pkzip, etc...  Also, function keys do not work.

This works for ISC 2.2.

Brian  Smith
ARPANET:   brians at cs.pdx.edu
UUCP:      {ucbvax,uunet,gatech}!tektronix!psueea!eecs!brians