DOS/UNIX network configuration

Chuck Luciano chuck at csn.csn.org
Sat Jan 19 04:03:56 AEST 1991

I have been running SCO SysV 386 for a couple of months now. Currently I have
a 30Mbyte DOS partition, and a 170Mbyte unix partition. When I want to run
DOS I reboot. Likewise when I want to do DOS development I use MSC 6.0 under
DOS. I have been carefully avoiding vpix for some time now. I have in mind
an alternative configuration to running vpix, which ties in with the fact that
I have nearly enough components to build another machine.

I would like to build a diskless DOS machine. Put network cards in my unix
and my DOS machine, and basically run DOS off of the unix disk system. The
requirements are that the unix machine contains an area that appears to be
a disk to the dos machine. That I can develop s/w for dos under unix and have
my makefile move it to the dos disk area, and immediatly run it on the dos
system.

I think this gives the performance of running dos applications on a real dos
system, and the advantages of using an only partially brain dead (sco)
development environment.

Unfortunatly I've never set up a network before, so I'd appreciate som insight
on the in's and out's of such a configuration.

Chuck Luciano
chuck at csn.org