Query: where to get nroff?

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 12:24:50 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

> Is there a public-domain nroff available for SCO Unix?  I've got about
> two-dozen man pages in nroff format and several anxious developers who
> want to print them out in plain-text form.  Where do I turn?

Two possibilities for free:

	awf from comp.sources.unix (nroff -man clone written in awk)
		very minimal, but may be adequate for your manuals
		very slow.  designed as a desperation measure.

	mroff recently posted in comp.os.minix (check archive on
	plains.nodak.edu) nroff clone, not sure  if it has -man
	macro clone though.

For money: buy any of the DWB packages for System VR3.2 or SCO Xenix
	   Text/Manual subsystem.  I use the latter + psroff (recently
	   posted to alt.sources + on cs.toronto.edu to produce
	   reasonably professional output on a PostScript printer.

Disclaimer: I only have tried the last option.  Your mileage may vary.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)