Need Recommendations On 386/486 UNIX systems

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Thu Jan 3 11:58:20 AEST 1991

bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>In article <1990Dec23.113905.4278 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>
>>The last thing I heard about arnet boards is that they had
>>problems supporting bidirectional communications for a bank
>>of modems locked at 38,400 bps using only hardware flow control
>>under Interactive Unix.
>>

>Speaking of hardware flow control ... My new AST 4-port board has an
>option for setting enabling hardware flow control.  When initasy is
>run (on Esix), that's one of the questions that is asked.  There's
>also something about a "flow control register."  Neither of these
>is documented well (if at all) in the AST board documentation.  What's
>your recommendation on this?

Use hardware flow control (if it works).

Try turning it on in the modem, and in the driver (FAS?).

Then try downloading then uploading a file using zmodem at both a high
speed and a 2400 baud connection - with the DTE locked at either
19200 or 38400.  If you get a flawless transfer (no errors)
then you should be all set - however - if flow control isn't
working - you will sure enough see errors..

  {..!uunet!mailrus!iuvax!ndcheg!nstar!larry, larry%nstar at ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)