syslog and Systems V

Mike Grenier mike at atc.SP.Unisys.COM
Tue Jan 22 08:50:46 AEST 1991

Subject: Re: '386 Unix Wars
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386

>From article <350 at metran.UUCP>, by jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts):
> In article <2812 at cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>
> Judging from postings in this newsgroup, ESIX has fewer bugs or other
> problems than ISC 2.2 or SCO UNIX.  In working with ESIX, so far I haven't
> run into any problems that I couldn't work around or solve either on my
> own or with the help of ESIX tech support.  They are responsive *and*
> helpful both over the phone and by email.

Judging from the experience of setting up a half dozen ESIX systems, I'll
never buy from them again! Anybody (ISC, SCO, Microport) has less bugs.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike at cimcor.mn.org
Subject: Re: Looking for a syslog that works in SysV3.2 land...
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386

>From article <105 at calcite.UUCP>, by vjs at calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver):
> In article <81376 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>, cgwst at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) writes:
>> I am also looking for a "syslog-like" logging facility for SysV3.2 land that
>> includes source.
>

> Using the toy STREAMS log mechanism in the SVR3.0 source might be an easier
> IPC for kernel error logging.

The streams logging mechanism is called strlog() in the kernel. UNIX 5.3.2
systems should have /usr/bin/strace and /usr/bin/strerr which are used for kernel
tracing (You can give it parameters for which driver you're tracing and level) and
error logging (creates a log file in /usr/adm/streams).

Of course the ESIX version of strerr dumps core when I call strlog out of the
ST01 scsi driver....but what else is new.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike at sp.unisys.com
     mike at cimcor.mn.org