Need partitioning opinions.

Jon Ryshpan jon at hitachi.uucp
Sat Jan 26 06:44:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan21.224520.27427 at iitmax.iit.edu> thssdwv at iitmax.iit.edu (David William Vrona) writes:
>I just upgraded my system with a larger hard disk (Maxtor 4380S with 1542A)
>and would like recommendations with regards to partitioning it for
>ISC Unix 2.02.  I understand that creating multiple partitions can improve the
>overall system performance.

> ...	I would also like to setup a partial news feed and X11.
>Thank you.

I can't see any advantage to several partitions beyond the seperating
root and everything else.  Under BSD, you can back up by partition;
this can speed backups up if you put static stuff on some of the
partitions.  But this doesn't apply to backups under sysv.

If you have several *drives*, you can get improved disk performancs  by
organizing your files so as to reduce seeks, say by putting your
working directories on one drive and /tmp on the other.

If you are afraid that your news spool directory can get out of
control, you *may* want to put it on a seperate partition so that it
can fill its own partition and not the whole drive.  But I don't
recommend this.

Jonathan Ryshpan		<...!uunet!hitachi!jon>