Problem installing FAS

Dr. Orville R. Weyrich orville at uunet.uu.net!weyrich
Sun Jan 6 22:22:22 AEST 1991

I have been bashing my head against a wall trying to get my 4-port mux
to work on my system. I am running Microport System V/386 3.3 with
DOS MERGE installed. Most recently I have been trying to get FAS 2.07
driver to replace the supplied Microport ASY driver. I can build the
kernel without any apparent problem, and when I boot the system,
I get the message
	"FAS 2.07.0 async driver Port 0-3 init state is [****]"
which is supposed to mean that everything is OK. The ports work
(more or less), but I have another problem:

When I issue the "ps -ef" command, I get lots of strange messages like
	"ps: cannot read 4"
	"ps: l-lseek() error on lseek, Invalid argument"
or
	"ps: r-read() error on read, rbytes=-1, nbytes=4096"

I suspected that this might be a conflict involving another device being
assigned the same major number as FAS (4), so I looked for a /dev/* or
/dev/*/* with the same major device number using "ls -l", and found
none.

Next I looked in all the /etc/atconf/modules/*/config files for another
use of character(4) or block(4). I found none. But I did find a line
in /etc/atconf/modules/s5/config which reads
	fs(0,"S51K",4)
which I am not sure what it means. Specifically, what does the third
parameter (4) denote?  Could this be the problem? I don't know.

I also searched the files in /etc/atconf/conf/*/config for conflicting
interrupts, but found none (my FAS uses interrupt 3).

MY QUESTION:

What should I do next?  If I wanted to try to install FAS as major
device 3 rather than major device 4, what changes would I have to make,
and where?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am new to kernel hacking and
don't have much idea what to try nest.

THANKS

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.

uunet!weyrich!orville