GNU G++ and libg++ ON ESIX REV D

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Jan 3 05:13:04 AEST 1991

According to james at bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen):
>In <1990Dec27.071639.3343 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, ernie at po.CWRU.Edu wrote:
>> the fsf ... lack of interest in sysv/coff type things.
>
>It may not be strictly lack of interest.  It may also be lack of
>apparent need.

Exactly.  When I first ported gcc 1.37.1 to SCO UNIX, I used a
gas+COFF configuration.  I submitted my changes to Richard Stallman.
He requested that I change my patches to use the standard assembler if
possible.  I did so.  As a result, my patches were much smaller, yet
had equivalent functionality; and they didn't require gas.  That's why
gcc 1.38 supports SCO UNIX out of the box.  Er, tape.  Er, wire.  :-)
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."