386 motherboard, 16 megs, and computone (intelligent serial) board

Riccardo Pizzi pizzi at esacs.UUCP
Wed Jan 9 19:09:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan08.140947.27663 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>>I run ISC 2.2 on the box, and would like to know if someone out there has
>>managed to get 16Mb running and co-existing with Computone on the board.
>Not I.  While the computone board runs just fine here on nstar - I have
>never been able to address the board below 1 megabyte (and get it to work).

I have a situation that is very close to your.
I am running a 3-high-speed-lines BBS and on the same box I do heavily X
development. My 8 Mb are no longer enough to get satisfactory performance
(I still have a 20 MHz board :-() so I would like to add some memory, up
to 16 MB. It seems not possible to get a Computone board work if you
have 16 Meg on the board (even if I have not tried it yet, just asked
around) and I cannot map the card below 1 Meg because all the available
space is occupied by my 1-meg VGA card, the hd controller bios, the tape
streamer bios. (This makes also me wonder where the 1-meg VGA video memory
is mapped... any clues?)
So it seems that I only can go up to 12 Meg on the board.
I read somewhere that you have a multiport board too -- how much memory
do you have on your box?(and also what kind/brand of motherboard you have?)

Rick
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software, Rimini, ITALY
e-mail: pizzi%esacs at relay.EU.net -or- root at xtc.sublink.org
Public Access Unix @ +39-541-27858 (Telebit)
<< Object Oriented is an Opaque Disease >>