'386 Unix Wars

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.sci.com
Fri Jan 4 04:43:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan02.133014.26506 at buster> buster!rli writes:
>geoff at Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>
>>My proposal is that product support should be provided free with the product.
   [ etc. ]

> [ .... ]  I also believe that the user must
>accept some responsibility as well.  I do not want to pay a
>higher price for any product simply because some other people
>refuse to RTFM.

Folks, how about a vendor offering a training course (for a fee), the
participants of which receive free or very low cost support. This
training would be optional; anyone who doesn't want to pay for the
training/support doesn't have to. This would eliminate a lot of
the problems with people asking questions instead of reading TFM,
but allows the already-experienced person a low purchase price.

Not perfect, but it's a suggestion I haven't seen yet.

--
Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary at sci34hub.sci.com
  *   In Memory of White Sox, the family dog, 1975-1/1/1991.   *
  *   Loyal, faithful, and stubborn to the end. We miss him.   *