bug in SCO UNIX makefiles ?

Tim Wright tim at delluk.uucp
Thu Jan 3 20:23:38 AEST 1991

In <19746 at netcom.UUCP> aed at netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) writes:

>hi
>I was wondering if someone has any idea how to fix this make file. I am working
>in C++. As a result I have decide to use .cc and .hh as the sufixes for my
>files so that I would not confuse them with reqular C code. This make file work
>correctly on a SUN work stations, but does not work on SCO UNIX

>it appears that it never finds the production rule
>.cc.o:. (there are no *.o files in this directory)

>here is the makefile

>.cc.o:
>	$(CC) -c -g $<

RTFM.
Suffixes have to be declared with ".SUFFIXES" before you can use them i.e.
you need a line of the form
.SUFFIXES: .cc .hh
before you can setup rules of the above form. I don't why this strangeness
is in Sys V but it is !

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Tel: +44-344-860456                  | Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
"What's the problem? You've got an IQ of six thousand, haven't you?"