Dell SVR4 on non-Dell hardware?

Steve Blair sblair at upurbmw.dell.com
Thu Jan 31 02:41:56 AEST 1991

[Here's some things to keep in mind. I'm not going to flame Neil]
[about calling us...not my style...]

We have a business, like other manufacturers. You're not able
to run *SUNOS* on an Apollo, or visa versa. You *can* port
BSD Tahoe 4.3 to a "X" machine, and in time get it running.

We chose early on to have our SYS V.4 on our machines first.

Then, we agreed(as our *salesfolks will say*) to "see" what
other machines our SYS V.4 will run on.

Since I'm one of the folks that deal with machine issues,
let me see what I can do to clarify our position...

**IF YOU INTEND TO RUN DELL's SYS V.4, on *non-DELL* h/w:

1) Disk Controllers: ESDI -- Ultrastor
	 	SCSI -- Adaptec 1542B
*are currently the "supported" controllers*

2) Ethernet cards: WD8003, WD8003e WD8003-10BaseT
*are the currently supported controllers*(3Com, in future)

3) Tape Controllers/Tape Drives: Adaptec *QIC150/250* drive
			Adaptec Tape Controller
*are the *ONLY* supported controller & drive*

4) Video Controllers: VGA -- DELL/Paradise VGA(640x480)
			GPX -- DELL GPX card(1024x768)

5) Memory:  A good recommendation is a *MINIMUM* of 4Mb's
	*for non X Windows based users*
	*FOR X WINDOWS USERS -- 8Mb's or *more*(!!!)*

**As we get more feedback, and customers applying DELL V.4
to *non-DELL* machines, sending email to us will allow us
to be better "able" to publish a listing of what "other"
customers using DELL's SYS V.4 are running it on.
If you've got more questions, you can email us as:

	support at uudell.dell.com
Steve Blair	DELL	UNIX	DIVISION sblair at upurbmw.dell.com