Recommendations for fixed-disk SCSI Controllers

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Tue Jan 1 11:14:38 AEST 1991

>From article <1990Dec28.233946.7381 at csn.org>, by mre at ngdc2.colorado.edu (Marcus O. Ertle):
> As the subject line says - I am seeking advice/experiences from
> users of SCSI-controllers - in a Unix environment.  The system this
> will be installed in will be (one of): 1) a 33-Mhz 386, 2) a 25-Mhz 486,
> or 3) a 33-Mhz 486 - possibly EISA if its a 486.  The flavor of Unix
> will probably be Interactive 2.2 - because that's what I am running now
> and am used to.

I'm sure everyone will be recommending the Adaptec 1542 controller.
Its reasonable fast and well supported by most everyone. The
WD FASST scsi board would make a second choice as it will be
supported by everyone using System V Release IV - its part
of the AT&T base port for the 386.

Another option people may laugh at but one which I like is the
Seagate ST-01 controller. I've made heavy modifications to the
Public Domain driver for UNIX and am acheiving speeds twice
that of the Adaptec controller on the same drive.
(Though I'm testing it against the ESIX scsi implementation
 which if like their other drivers has probably has problems.

    -Mike Grenier
    mike at cimcor.mn.org