IDE and ESIX question (and others)

mareb at levels.sait.edu.au mareb at levels.sait.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 23:33:44 AEST 1991

I'm trying to put together a 386 system running UNIX and X11
for relatively little money. It looks like I can get the
following h/w for a good price:

	386: 33MHz 8Mb (board/BIOS unspecified)
	PT2014F VGA card (Tseng)
	Qume QM835 VGA Colour Monitor
	S5240 AT Bus + 2 floppy controller
	Seagate ST1239A 210Mb Hard Disk
	etc.

I'm considering getting ESIX+VP/ix to run on this but I'm told
the AT-bus is not supported - does anyone know if it works?

Also, I was hoping to run Roell's X11 - is there any problem
with this? My alternative is to upgrade my 386/ix from 2.0.2
to 2.2.1 at a higher cost - it is not clear that there is any
real advantage in doing this (though the 386/ix salesthing
claims that their system is 4 times faster than any other UNIX
for a 386).

Any info. on the above concerns would be appreciated.

	b++