14 character limitation in filenames

Steve Ward stevewa at upvax.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 22:02:35 AEST 1991

This is somewhat off the sysv386 path, but:
In article <20711 at hydra.gatech.EDU> ken at dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>Overcome in System V release 4.  It *can* be done in System V.3.2
>(Tektronix UTek V for the 88000 has flex-names and is 3.2 based).

I suspect this is because Tek used the Berkley FFS for UTek/V.  My inside
sources tell me the OS development for the XD88 was done on Tek 4317/19
workstations, which run "old" UTek, a Berkely 4.2 variant.  It would have
been perfectly logical for them to adopt the Berkely FFS, and just plug
the disks drives into the new machine for testing.

It is interesting to note that while UTek/V has the advanced file system
in all other respects it is quite probably the most vanilla system V.3.2
OS I've ever worked on (eg, while 'vi' is available, 'more' is not...sure
gets difficult to remember to type 'pg' instead of 'more'...).

>Noone has done it for the 386 that I know of.

I thought ESIX had a Berkely FFS...does it have the 14 character limit?

While I do agree that the limit is silly, and should be done away with,
it is a well known and documented limitation that developers should be
keeping in mind if they want their software to be portable.

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa at upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |