Can I get GCC on an Altos 1000

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sat Jan 12 14:29:18 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Jan10.172451.23966 at bradley.bradley.edu> by john at bradley.bradley.edu (John Lengeling):
+---------------
| I have an Altos 1000 running System V 5.3.1e and I would like to
| get a C compiler for it.  Would GCC work?  If so, is there someone
| who can send me the binaries or am I out of luck and have to buy a C
| compiler?
+---------------

You're out of luck --- but not because you can't get gcc binaries.

C ompilers do not exist in a vacuum.  You need the compiler, assembler,
linker, and the C standard library.  If you're willing to put up with the
nonsensical "COFF encapsulation" that RMS & Co. use to make System V binaries
look like BSD binaries, the first three can be solved; but the C standard
library, libc.a, is not available yet from the FSF --- and if it were, you'd
need a way to compile (or, in the case of most system calls, assemble) the
low-level routines in a way compatible with the Altos 1000.  The only real
option is to buy the regular development system from Altos.

Once that's done, however, gcc is a better compiler than the pcc port provided
by Altos, and MUCH MUCH better than the Microsoft C compiler.  gcc builds
unchanged using the configuration for 386/ix.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN