IDE drive question: Conner vs. Seagate

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Fri Jan 18 01:59:08 AEST 1991

Due to an error of my distributor I received two IDE drives today. Of
course, I will return one, but as they are of different brand, I need
a hint which one to keep. The two are

	- Conner CP320AF (211MB, 16ms)
	- Seagate ST1239A (210MB, 15ms)

As the specifications are much the same, it may direct my decission
that the Seagate costs ~15% less, but there are some rumor that the
Conner is of better quality.

Furthermore I'm a little irritated by some messages concerning OS-fixes
for IDE drives. (As I were informed by personal mail, there were some
problems that the drive didn't quite follow the specifications and
Seagate was explicitely mentioned by one person, but not Conner.)

Finally, in case it should matter: I want to use the drive with SCO
XENIX/V-386, but it might be that later I move the drive to a system
running ISC UNIX/386.

Any helpul souls outthere to guide my decission? Thanks in advance.
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83