386BSD

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 09:17:25 AEST 1991

On 31 Dec 90 11:55:56 GMT, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) said:

cpcahil> 4.4BSD will support the 386 architecture (although peripheral
cpcahil> support will be somewhat limited).  To get it you need a SOURCE
cpcahil> license (read this as lots of $$ unless you are a university).
cpcahil> To my knowledge there has been no announcements of a commercial
cpcahil> distribution of a binary product.

Just because it is something I remember and it struck me as quite
notable, if you have a source license you can alos get a 4.2BSD (or
4.3BSD) port to the 286 (yes, *2*86) from Rice University. Since it is
fairly old, they probably have more drivers by now, and they should be
fairly compatible with those of 4.4BSD.

I remember there was a guy at YCB that has said that he was the one
person doing the 386 4.4BSD port -- I do not remember whom he was, but
if he is listening, he might find it nice to get in touch with the guys
who did the 286 port. Who knows, maybe the two can be merged and 4.4BSD
could run on 286s too.

Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk