/dev/console on SCO UNIX

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Tue Jan 15 15:52:33 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991PMSun.13.24375 at atomica.fi> by dag at atomica.fi (Dag Nygren):
+---------------
| allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
| >As quoted from <1991AMSat.12.4222 at atomica.fi> by dag at atomica.fi (Dag Nygren):
| >+---------------
| >| Anybody out there succeeded in mapping the console to another device
| >| in SCO UNIX, for example an to apply to xconsole? It is a bit of a
| >| problem with the console messages messing up the X-window screen.
| >+---------------
|
| >The Xenix port of MGR opens /dev/error and issues an ioctl() on it so that it
| >will get SIGUSR1 when a kernel message is generated; it then reads /dev/error
| >and displays it in the "console" window.  I left this as is in my port to SCO
| >UNIX, and it does in fact work.  Most likely, this is documented under the
| >"error" device.
|
| 	Thanks, I will try that, but does it really prevent (disable) the
| 	writing of the messages to the screen ??...... OK, I will try it....
+---------------

I don't know for certain... as I said, I didn't pick the code apart.  In fact,
my statement above is just what a cursory examination seemed to be saying.  In
any case, error messages are showing up under MGR in a window whose
controlling terminal is a pty... so TIOCCONS would likely not work regardless.
I suspect that you could arrange to grab error messages and either bit-bucket
them (since they get put in /usr/adm/messages anyway --- not that I recommend
this) or redirect them to someplace less annoying than a window-splatter, like
a special reserved "error window" like MGR does.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN