486 computers and Unix

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Fri Jan 11 13:42:55 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1049 at gistdev.gist.com> by flint at gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett):
+---------------
| peter at nox.se (Peter Levin) writes:
|
| >There have been some discussion on the subject of running 486 computers and
| >386 Unix (SCO, Interactive, Dell etc).  I know that when buying an Intel
| >486 computer you were at least one month ago obliged to sign a paper
| >stating that you were aware of that the 486 processor was not working
| >properly with Unix under alla circumstances.
|
| Who/where do you "know" this from?  I didn't have to sign any such thing
| when I got my 486, can you tell us of anyone who has?  My vendor says

Telotech upgraded its Altos 1000 to a 486 processor about a year ago.  No
fancy paper to sign, nothing.  But Altos did note that they did not have
problems caused by the 486 bugs on the 1000.  They may have delayed the 5000
for a while because of 486 glitches, however --- I don't know.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN