ESIX compress(1) broken (was: Re: Using Interactive TPWB...)

J.T. Conklin jtc at van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca
Fri Jan 11 10:58:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan8.222044.9602 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.154351.16652 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
>
>I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
>"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

Since ESIX's compress' use of -u, and REAL compress' use of -d, don't
conflict, it seems the best method rationalizing the situation is to
hack the compress source so it recognizes both flags.  That way, both
net.software and ESIX installation disks should continue to work.

--
J.T. Conklin	jtc at wimsey.bc.ca, ...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc