'386 Unix Wars

Ed Hall edhall at rand.org
Fri Jan 4 13:52:18 AEST 1991

In article <1659 at svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra at svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
> . . . . ISC 2.0.1 (but i believe later versions have the same
>problem) decided (wrongly!) that my system would not support more
>than 1024 cylinders and would not let me access the last 200 cylinders.

This is false; ISC 2.0.1 supports disks with more than 1024 cylinders just
fine (I'm using all 1070 of mine, using a WD1006 controller).  The
partitioning program gives a bogus indication that there is a 1024
cylinder upper-bound, but if you ask it for more, it will give it to
you.

I even had to use ISC's formatter, since the WD1006 BIOS didn't format
above cyl #1023.  No problem.  I just pretended everything was OK, and
lo and behold, it was.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall at rand.org