How to get past end of cpio archive on tape

Fred Fish fnf at fishpond.uucp
Mon Jan 21 04:26:39 AEST 1991

In article <1023 at mwtech.UUCP> martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>I know this was allready mentioned earlier in this thread, but I think
>I should repeat for all those who tuned in late:
>
>ALL THIS IS TECHNICALLY CORRECT BUT BOUND TO FAIL FOR TYPICAL CARTRIDGE
>TAPE STREAMERS, SINCE THESE DEVICES PHYSICALLY ERASE ALL OF THE TAPE
>WHEN WRITING THE FIRST TRACK!

Add to this that it is also bound to fail for any typical 1/4" cartridge
which is written and later develops a "bad spot".  I know of no stock
drives for which any portion of the tape after the bad spot will be
readable.  Apparently the firmware refuses to have anything to do with
any portion of the tape after the bad spot.

>(IMHO the topic should go into the FAQ.)

Amen.  This comes up at least once or twice a month.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048               asuvax!mcdphx!fishpond!fnf