vi in SCO UNIX

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.Co.Uk
Wed Jan 2 18:46:18 AEST 1991

[ I've crossposted to USENET because I'm hoping someone has an answer to
  a question regarding the SVR3 vi in general ]

jpr at jpr.com wrote:

> This is a mapping which I used daily in SCO Xenix to compose replies to
> CompuServe messages.
>
> map  #1  ?#: [0-9][0-9].* S[0-9][0-9]*/?Wyt N<<Ore^[pmao/post unf^[mbO
>
> It fails in SCO Unix. Does anyone know what they've changed in vi, besides
> using terminfo instead of termcap?

Regular expressions in SCO Unix vi seem to be severely broken, I *think*
it's closure of a character class that does it.  "ver" on SCO Unix says
SVR3.1, does anyone know if the base port for that has such problems?

Anyway, personally, I gave up with the SCO Unix vi and use the SCO
Xenix vi instead.  Doing that does pose problems, like % substitution
doesn't work from the :! mode (top bit gets set), but that's a lot
less hassle than broken regular expressions.

The Xenix vi is directly descended from the BSD (no AT&T parentage other
than the original ed code) "ver" says 3.7 6/10/83.  Putting the
date in is so much more informative than just "SVR3.1".

	$ cat /dev/icbm > AT&T.

--
ronald at robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)