Using Roell's X386 with PVGA1A and NEC Multisync-II ?

Thomas Roell roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Mon Jan 7 20:53:47 AEST 1991

>                           Since I have not gotton it yet and I
>have a Paradise Professional (512k vedio ram), even though Herr
>Roell warned that for PVGA1A his server wouldn't work properly, I
>decided to give it a try.

My only Problem is that I don't have access to a PVGA1A board. Driver writing
takes not much time. The GVGA stuff was written in 2 hours and testing took
3 hours. But the manual often keeps not the full information you must have.
So you must play around with the VGA. Looking at the bios, and fooling around
with some special registers. So all my 'fixes' to the PVGA1A driver are guesses
from the POOR error-descriptions of the useres. Simply saying that it's not
working is not enougth. Tell me exactly where it fails! Run x11perf and tell
me where it works correctly !!!

>Finally, Herr Roell, could you say a few words about your server's
>support for PVGA1A?  Is it really so broken that it is essentially
>useless with this chip set?  If yes, do you plan to fix it?

There are plans to fix it. Indeed almost every week there is a new beta-test
version of X386. (131.159.8.35, /pub/i386/beta/X386.tar.Z). You could get
this version, test it, and write me whats wrong, or not soo good.

- Thomas

E-Mail (domain):	 roell at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (when above fails): roell at tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."