Recommendations for fixed-disk SCSI Controllers

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Jan 4 11:11:35 AEST 1991

In article <37532 at cup.portal.com> DeadHead at cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>Also, I found out that if you want to have a > 40MB tape backup, you can
>only go with a SCSI tape drive with Interactive 2.2.

This is not true.  We have non-SCSI 60MB and 150MB QIC tape drives running
under ISC 2.2 with no problems.  Although I would still recommend SCSI
because of the savings in bus slots and interrupts.

>Now, I need a high capacity tape backup unit, but I cant use SCSI unless
>I know that the problem mentioned above is not a problem or it has been
>fixed.  Is there any other high capacity tape backup unit that ISC supports
>which is not SCSI based?

The problem with panicing under heavy usage of the SCSI system is quite rare
under 2.2 and are more than offset by the vast increase in mult-user
i/o performance using the bus-mastering SCSI controllers (like the Adaptec
1542).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170