VGA board for X386

karln at uunet.uu.net karln at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jun 20 01:03:57 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.033726.20991 at ecf.toronto.edu> steve at ecf.toronto.edu (Steve Kotsopoulos) writes:
>I just bought a Tricom Mega/1024 VGA board that I want to use with
>my Hyundai HCM-421E monitor for running X386.
>
>They had two different types of these VGA boards at the store (same price).
>The 'old' style board had 3 or 4 different crystals on it, and I believe
>the highest one was around 60MHz. The 'new' style board only had one
>36MHz crystal on it.

   My Tseng Labs Mega has a single crystal on it, 39.5 Mhz.

>I bought the 'new' one because it had higher rev EPROMS on it.
>When I ran Thomas Roell's clock.exe program it detected
>clocks at 25.2, 28.3, 32.5 and 36.0.

  I looked at the manual since I cannot do turbo pascal.
In the back it said I had, 25 28 36 40 45 65 (rounded of course).
That seemed to keep everyone happy.

>Would I be better off with the 'old' or 'new' style VGA board?
>I am using the monitor in 8514 emulation mode.

 Do not know. I've had not problems except one: 1024x768 in non-interlace
 mode. Details, under windows 3.0 1024x768 always came up in interlaced mode
 UNLESS I ran some silly utility from the disc that came with the
 board that said to do 1024x768 specific in non-interlaced mode, called
 mode 38 or something. This program apparantly talked to the VGA BIOS
 and told it next time, do it in non-interlace mode. If I tell Roell's
 wonderfull X386 to run in 1024x768 non-interlace, the screen simply goes
 blank. Works fine in interlace-mode though. I suppose I will have
 to get around to finding out what this silly utility did and emulate
 it in UNIX. Any ideas anyone?

 Hope this helps in some unseen way ...