Building gcc on i386 (ESIX Rev D)

Gray Watson cgwst at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Mon Jun 17 11:40:45 AEST 1991

Howdy:
I need some help at best and psychological counseling at worst.

I am trying to get gcc compiled on my 386 running ESIX 3.2 Rev D.  I have
followed the directions very carefully but cannot seem to get it to fly.

Is there a ftp site out there with gcc binaries for i386's.  I also need
the libraries and other #*$%@#.

Here's what I've done so far:
- loaded binutils, gcc, gas, bison sources.
- compiled and installed gas and bison
	- gas installed as /usr/local/lib/gcc-as and /usr/local/bin/gas
- edited gcc Makefile to add alloca.o and USG defines
- make realclean
- ./config.gcc i386-sysv-gas
	- I've tried the non-gas version but it has problems with crt1.o sooner
- make
	- alloca.c has some #endif comment warnings
	- ar (warning) file.o in pre 5.0 format
		- ar gives this warning for a number of stuff.  should gnu-ar
		  be used here?

- now according to the INSTALL file, I should now build binutils and convert
  the libraries:
	- I copy over alloca.c
	- edit Makefile for USG and alloca.o
	- make
	- I get -o ranlib.o would overwrite ranlib.o error but ld and libaries
	  utilities are build so I ignore it.
	- install ld as /usr/local/lib/gcc-ld
	- convert libc.a with make libc.a and install it
	- convert gnulib from gcc and install it in /usr/local/lib and also
	  in gcc directory (this is not in README but I tried it both ways).

- then I do a make stage1
- now another make
- If I have the -O flag on it is still compiling c-parse.tab.c after 13 hours.
- If I remove the flag it takes a &$*#$( year (less than 13 hours) and then
  core dumps after a couple more compiles complete.

Well net gurus , what the hell am I doing wrong or is ESIX a little screwy?

I need this up yesterday or I will have to majorly rewrite a lot of our
modules that run like champs on our Sun.

Please send me MAIL with comments ort solutons.  I don't read here too often
and I need a solution now.

Thanks for any info.
gray
gray at antaire.comNewsgroups: comp.unix.i386,comp.sys.i386
[...]

BACKGROUND:
	i386/33 Mhz Zeos with 4Mb and 150Mb ESDI drive.
	ESIX V 3.2 Rev D

Thanks for any info.
gray
gray at antaire.com