Nroff and SCO Unix

nils-peter.nelson npn at cbnewsl.att.com
Tue Jun 25 03:04:05 AEST 1991

Somewhere in the middle of this article the subject of
man under X came up.  I've seen several (to me) over-
engineered versions that take thousands of lines of code
to turn nroff output back into variable width, including
handling overstrikes, underlines, etc.
Herewith my own 3 line version of man for X windows;
it relies on the fact that DWB 3.2 -man macros offer
compatibility with all known implementations (actually,
all the ones we bothered to find), and on xtv, which
is a working version of xditview. The first line pumps
the point size up, 'cause I'm finally at the age where
I have trouble reading 10 point type.
===
echo '.nr )S 12
.po +2' | \
troff -man - `whence $1 | sed "s:[^/]*/$1:man/man1/$1.1:"` | xtv &
===
Also, an editorial comment to:
Between James Clark and Chris Lewis, I think troff's life has been
extended beyond expectation.
===
To wit: (pout, pout)
At least Brian Kernighan should be mentioned.