UHC SVR4 (ver 2.0) max filesize problem

Joe R. Doupnik jrd at cc.usu.edu
Wed Jun 12 09:00:55 AEST 1991

In article <56011 at nigel.ee.udel.edu>, danson at udel.edu (Douglas Anson) writes:
> Hello!
>
> I would like to know if any other UHC SVR4 users out there have had difficulty
> changing the maximum (soft and hard) file size a process may create.  I am
> running UHC SVR4.2.0.  I used idtune to change the values of SFSZLIM and
> HFSZLIM accordingly then called idbuild to remake the kernel. Everything
> compiled fine and the new kernel was installed successfully.  However, when
> I try something like:
>
> 	%cat foo1 big-foo2 ... > REALLY-big-foo
>
> it must be the case that cat have setuid permissions set (i.e. 4755 etc)
> Still other functions like kermit (not part of the UHC distribution) will not
> allow large files EVEN with setuid set.
>
> I figure I have, at some point, taken the wrong turn in the road!!
> Any help/advice/etc would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance!
> doug anson
> danson at dewey.udel.edu
> Univ of Del
> ASEL
Doug,
	You did the right things, except for one tiny thing. Look in the
setup for the defaults for login. If your system is similar to my AT&T SVR4
there will be a line reading  ULIMIT=2xxx, meaning 2MB file limit. Comment
out the line. Why ULIMIT appears there, in addition to the system config
area, is a mystery.
	Joe D.