Thinking about buying UNIX for home, be careful w/ Dell

john gay jgay at digi.lonestar.org
Wed Jun 12 02:45:50 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Jun10.222841.24729 at gn.ecn.purdue.edu>, by seth at gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Madison MadMan Miles):

[a lot of stuff about dell unix requiring a tape drive for installation deleted]

Well, to semi-defend Dell... I knew that Dell Unix only comes on a tape.  I
am not sure where I read this.  Either in a review or in the dell brochure
that I was sent.

I don't have unix running at home (yet) (work is an apollo workstation) and
have never seen the Dell Unix distribution (only Interactives, but that was
about 2 years and another company ago).

Maybe they (dell) could make clearer a minimum configuration to install
their unix - assuming that it is not in their brochure, but they do have
the 30 day money back policy... and I could probably find someone with
a tape drive (not to mention I would hate to sit through a 4-6 hour install
with a huge number of floppies).

john gay.
john gay.                      jgay at digi.lonestar.org
Like Thoreau, I rejoice that there are owls.  Part of the reason is that
owls eat mice, and thus make a certain number of cats unnecessary, which
is always a plus.  Jeff Duntemann, Dr. Dobb's June '91