Interesting solution for VP/ix-Esix mouse problem

Nathan D. Lane nlane at well.sf.ca.us
Wed Jun 26 15:47:22 AEST 1991

Today I called Esix technical support and asked if it was possible to use
a mouse for BOTH Esix (with X-windows) and for VP/ix.  They said no.
However, I found a way to make it work.  Have TWO mouses (mice?) connected
to the same system.  I have a Microsoft bus mouse for the Unix (since
I use Unix more often, and the Microsoft mouse feels better) and a
$19.99 "cheapie-special" mouse for Unix that I hooked up to a spare
port on my $79.95 "cheapie-special" 4 port AST clone.  I still have
four serial ports available + mouse use in both VP/ix and Esix.
One catch about my "cheapie-special" mouse - the drivers that came with
it don't work under VP/ix.  However, it emulates a mouse systems mouse
(or Microsoft), so I installed that driver instead (for Windows) and it
works just fine!

Nice to post a solution for once!

-Nathan Lnae
Digital Technology Service, Santa Barbara, CA
(805) 683-3760		Authorized Esix resller