How to read *any* IP/Ethernet packets on ethernet?

Bruce R Larson ires at kaspar.UUCP
Sun Jun 2 17:22:42 AEST 1991

In article <17567.28468c14 at ul.ie> wangw at ul.ie writes:
>Is there a way to read all the packets transmitting in the Ethernet? More
>specifically is there a way to read all the IP packets or Ethernet packet
>no matter what is the packet's destination address? ...  I am doing
>network security so this is quite important. Any suggestions?

This question borders on the outrageous.

I will assume that your intention really is security and not espionage.

In that case, forget about packet snooping and get a smart router
or gateway that does packet filtering.  You have every right to
restrict access to and from your domain in any way that you wish,
but keep your nose out of those packets -- it has no business
being there.

>Weijun Wang  (E-mail: wangw at ul.ie)
>Dept. of Electronics, Univ. of Limerick, Ireland

Bruce
--
Bruce R. Larson
Integral Resources, Milton MA
Internet:  blarson at ires.com
Uucp:  ..!{world|uunet}!ires.com!blarson