ISC TCP/IP 1.2 hangs?

News Administrator news at heitis1.uucp
Wed Jun 19 04:47:44 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun11.152602.22404 at ico.isc.com> dougm at ico.ISC.COM (Doug McCallum) writes:
>In article <4104 at merk.UUCP> brennan at merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) writes:
>>It looks like a few people are taking the pipe on this one. I've got the
>>same (and other) problems. Wild guess: WD8003 or the WD8003 driver have
>>problems with "high speed" machines, e.g. race conditions in the driver.
>
>There are a number of known problems with TCP/IP 1.2 that are being worked
>on for the TCP/IP 1.3 release later this summer.  These include a number of
>conditions that cause TCP to get hung connections.  They aren't related to
>the WD driver (there could be other problems there but we haven't seen them).

If the WD8003 driver for TCP/IP v1.2 is the same as that supplied in the
Network Drivers Supplement available back around march, it has one major
problem.  (According to people at ISC).  The buffer in the WD8003 8-bit card
is something like 128 or 256 bytes.  The buffer for the WD8003 16-bit card
is double whatever the other one is.  The driver was written expecting the
larger buffer, and will sometimes "overflow".  Also, you cannot use an
8-bit card with a 16-bit card as a gateway, apparently it just loses its
mind entirely.
	brian