Getty for ISC/Telebit T-2500 w/autobaud via the CONNECT msg?

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Sun Jun 16 12:18:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun15.154304.25987 at uunet.uu.net> karln!karln at uunet.uu.net (Karl Nicholas) writes:
>I HIGHLY reccomend locking
>the speed of the modem. I know someone that tried for a week
>or two trying to get the T2500 to work like the manual shows,
>but never really got it off the ground.

I had my TB+ running unlocked for many months without any problems.  I
had it set up that way because some older slow modems (Everex 2400 bps)
would drop characters when receiving from the TB.  UUCP and interactive
use were both impossible with the interface speed locked.  Does anyone
know what causes this?

>Furthermore I cannot
>picture were getty is going to get the connect string from,

I mentioned the same thing to Richard in mail.  I've played with one of
those so-called auto-bauding gettys.  The problem was that the modem
issued the CONNECT message before asserting DCD, so the getty never saw
it, since it was blocked in open() waiting for DCD.  I guess these
gettys can only be used if you use a non-blocking open() device on the
serial port?  But then you can't use the device for dialout.  Would it
be possible for FAS to optionally save incoming characters when no
device has the port open, and hand them to the next process to open the
device?
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)