AMI Bios Configuration

Tom Frauenhofer tvf at cci632.cci.com
Thu Jun 13 01:40:25 AEST 1991

In article <2368 at cs.rit.edu> tvf1477 at cs.rit.edu (Thomas V Frauenhofer;902;icsg6) writes:
>I have a 386sx system that has AMI bios.  I cannot figure out how to
>reclaim the memory from 640K-1024K for use as extended memory (it is
>reserved somehow for shadowing).  Could some kind soul please tell
>me how to configure the Bios to let me use this memory?

Due to some of the e-mail I have received, let me restate the question:

I have a 386sx system that uses AMI's bios.  I have been playing
with the setup program for the past month trying to figure out how
to reclaim the memory between 640K and 1024K for use as extended memory.
I am looking for a solution as to how to either (a) reclaim the memory
to use as extended memory or (b) re-map some portion of the memory so
that I can have the whole 2 meg available to run Unix in.  I understand
shadow ram, I just don't need it.

If I cannot, but some other vendor's bios would allow me to do this, well,
that would be okay, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Again, thanks in advance.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW, tvf at cci.com   | SPAM is a register trademark
{uupsi,ccicpg}!cci632!tvf at uunet.uu.net       |  of a pork product packed