X Performance (was: Re: Performance of 80486 based machines...)

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Fri Jun 28 10:59:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun23.202918.15302 at rfengr.com> rfarris at rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:
>It gets better.  I upgraded my system to 16 MB, and with a
>normal complement of clients (2 scoterms, zmail, poste, 3
>xloads, xbiff and xclock) [...] I'm only 700k away from paging.

Well, we upgraded the 8 meg machine to 16, and got a faster hard drive.
X feels downright snappy on a 486/33 with the Paradise 8514 card.  I
wasn't able to cause any noticeable amount of paging with the 16 meg of
RAM, even with a couple of Motif demos loaded.  Perhaps the shared
libraries start to help somewhere after the 8 meg mark.  (This is
MetroLink's X11R4/Motif 1.1.2 package on ISC 2.0.2.)
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)